Yesterday my stress levels were very high, and this was because I found out that someone had created a Facebook account, pretending to be me.
It started with a message from a friend asking me if I’d made a second account. Confused, I told her I hadn’t, and then she sent me a screenshot of the page; not going to lie, I freaked out.
You see, the fake account didn’t only have the same profile picture as my actual one- I also had mutual friends with it. So the person behind it was adding people claiming to be me! Yeah, by this point I was majorly panicking.
I began thinking the worst like, “What if they post mean things and people think it’s me?” “What if no one believes me when I tell them it’s not?” “What if I lose my fitness to practise???”
Looking back on the whole thing, I could have handled it much better than I did. So here’s a Tai Guide To Dealing with Facebook Impersonators:
1. STAY CALM. So so grateful to The Keen One a.k.a Kenny, who was my voice of reason through it all, and had no qualms with letting me know how ridiculous and over the top she thought I was being. You da best, sis x
2. Let your close friends know, and ask if any of them are behind it. My friends have an… interesting sense of humour (Yeah, I mean you guys, Mahan and Riyad), and have done things like this in the past, so I thought the joke was on me this time. It wasn’t them though, so that brings me to my next tip.
3. Send messages to the people who are mutual friends with the fake account, letting them know it’s not you, and to unfriend/report the imposter.
4. Message the fake account asking who they are and why they’re pretending to be you.
5. Report the account on Facebook. It took me a while to figure out how to do this, because my Facebook account is in Leet Speak (why is a story for another day), so I had to change it back to English first.
• Go on the fake account
• Click on the ‘…’ underneath the cover photo on the right side
• Click ‘Report’ then ‘Report this account’
• You will then be asked what’s wrong with the account, so click on ‘This timeline is pretending to be me or someone I know’.
Facebook were quite quick in responding to my report, and less than ten minutes later, I got a message from them telling me that they’d reviewed it, and the profile had been removed. RELIEF. I still have no idea who was behind it, but I really hope this is the last I see of Facebook impersonators. Who even has the time to go to so much effort??
So yeah, just another normal day in the life of Tai… back to work!