Module 5 Placement: Final Week

If I’m to be honest, this week hasn’t been great. The lowest point for me was standing bare feet in the rain to get away from everything. I was super stressed and getting annoyed, and could feel myself snapping at people, so I thought, “Why not go for a walk without shoes?” …Yeah, bad times.

I look back on that and laugh now, so I’m feeling better. For once it wasn’t just #mediclyf that was stressing me out, things just got a bit much here. With the OSCE looming, house drama, friendship drama and our shoe box appeal launch, I got really stressed because I felt overwhelmed with balancing everything, and last minute plans really put me on edge. Like reaaaaallly on edge. But as Starbucks Gal wisely put it, “Life is unpredictable and you can’t schedule everything.” That is very true.

In other news, secondary care placement this week involved a lot of revision time, which was good because I did get a lot of work done, but it was annoying because I felt that I could have stayed at home for that. We did have great teaching on lung cancer classification, tuberculosis, haemoptysis and palliative care, but having patients in for the teaching would have made it even better I think. I know it’s not their fault that the module lead had to go suddenly, and they really have tried their best to fill in the gaps, but it’s just frustrating that people in our module at other hospitals are getting better teaching, as that could put us at a disadvantage for the OSCE.

The highlight of this week for me was the Simulation session we had. In pairs, one of us had to be the doctor, and the other was the nurse, and we got given patient scenarios with SimMan. It felt very realistic and was really nerve-wracking because an ITU Consultant was in the control room controlling SimMan and overseeing our progress, but it gave us insight into what life as junior doctors on respiratory wards will be like. My scenario was a patient with an anaphylactic reaction to the IV antibiotics they were given, and I had to “call” the switchboard to request for help from a senior doctor, because my patient wasn’t getting better after I’d given them adrenaline injections, and IV hydrocortisone and chlorphenamine. The doctor never arrived, and I had to handle things myself by giving the patient more fluids, but it worked out in the end because my patient eventually got better. Relief!

I couldn’t have done it without the help of my nurse though, she was so great when I was stuck on what to do next. Again, an important lesson on why it will be good to get on well with the nurses when we’re on the wards.

Anyway, for some reason our secondary care placement finishes on Monday, so ONE DAY MORE.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s